(Featured Photo: by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels)
A little birdie recently told us that … sometimes deacons don’t like meetings. Really?! And! Apparently deacons aren’t alone in this! But the truth is, people don’t hate meetings; they just hate bad meetings. Would you agree?
So what makes a good meeting?
Here is what we’ve compiled:
-a clear agenda/purpose;
-participants being heard/their input being valued;
-a clear start time and end time
-good food/refreshments are always a bonus!
Well, as far as we can tell, our upcoming Annual General Meeting (AGM) checks ALL of those boxes!
Who is this meeting for?
As Diaconal Ministries Canada was formed by deacons and we exist for deacons, we specifically NEED ordained deacons at our meetings. Diaconal Ministries was officially formed in 2001 by ordained deacons across Canada who were longing for a national organization to help equip and support them. So, in a sense, you’re the boss! Your input and engagement in the work that we do is vital because we’re working for you! Therefore, we look forward to this annual gathering where we can all ‘sit around the table’ together and not only share what we’ve been working on, but listen to how we can serve you better.
On top of this, we also want to hear from ‘diaconal-hearted’ people; those who aren’t “ordained deacons” but who are living out God’s call to be the hands, feet, and mouth of our Lord Jesus – inside our churches and in our communities. (Psst! This is the rest of us!)
Why Should You Attend?
In case we haven’t fully convinced you yet that you need to be there, here are our top reasons why you should attend our AGM on Thursday, November 23rd. Here goes…
- You will find out more about Diaconal Ministries’ history and how we are organized to equip and support deacons across Canada;
- You will meet our amazing team;
- You’ll find out how Diaconal Ministries is funded;
- You can wear your pajamas (or whatever you want) because our meeting is online – and you won’t get in trouble! (But please, do wear something);
- We have a great guest speaker lined up for the evening; one of our current NewGround Partners: Mr. Harry Stam of Crossroads for Prisoners Canada. Find out more about him here;
- You may see a familiar face on the screen! Maybe an old college roommate or your grade 3 teacher OR the guy your sister dated back in the day that you WISH was your brother-in-law now. (Oops, did we just say that!?);
- You’ll have the opportunity to ask us any question you have. (For example, why does the National Director, ron, put his name in all lowercase letters in all of our communications??);
- If you’re a new deacon, you could earn some brownie points with your diaconate’s Chair or your pastor! (Psst! Don’t forget to invite your pastor!);
- You don’t even need to BE an ordained deacon to attend… we encourage pastors, elders, ministry leaders, and all church members to attend. We are ALL called to be deacons in our churches and communities, remember?;
- And lastly, it’s free! Yes, it will cost you your time, but we believe it’ll be time well spent with fellow diaconal-hearted folks.
So what are you waiting for?
Register today! Our AGM will be held online via Zoom on Thursday, November 23, 2023, at 8pm EST. All AGM meeting materials are on our website, including our 2022-23 Annual Report.