September marks a new season and a new start for your church. Maybe it seems as though your diaconate is starting all over. Maybe you have new deacons and are making new plans together. Wherever you are at, September always brings transition of one kind or another.
Here are some suggestions to ease the transition for your new deacons and for your diaconate as you move forward together.
The Top Ten Transitional Issues to Consider as Deacons:
(follow the links for resources connected to each transitional issue)
- What deacons do: start with our FAQ section for some basic information
- How to start well: Check our website for devotions.
- Form a strong team: consider mentoring and reverse mentoring.
- Build Community: Click here for some suggestions.
- Gifts for Ministry: Examine what gifts you have around your “diaconal table.”
- Organizing your ministry plans: Develop a Diaconate workplan.
- Get help: schedule a Diaconal Ministry Developer (DMD) visit
- Develop your ministry: Guidelines for setting an offering schedule, benevolence, etc.
- Diaconal Ministry Shares: Why do we pay them?
- Can’t find what you’re looking for? Check out the FAQs or contact the Diaconal Ministries Canada office (Samantha).