(Feature photo by: Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels)
Not that any of you need any convincing, but we’ve heard in the past that sometimes deacons don’t like meetings. (I know, right?! We were shocked too!)
And apparently deacons aren’t alone in this! But the truth is, people don’t hate meetings; they just hate bad meetings. Would you agree? And what makes a meeting bad? It’s typically an unclear agenda/purpose and feeling like they aren’t heard or their input doesn’t matter.
Well, let us assure you right now that our Annual General Meeting (AGM), coming up next Thursday, November 18th at 8pm EST, will be different!
Diaconal Ministries Canada was formed by deacons and we exist for deacons, therefore we NEED you at our meetings. In a sense, you’re the boss! We take our direction from you. Your input and engagement in the work that we do is vital because we’re working for you! Therefore, we look forward to this annual gathering where we can all ‘sit around the table’ together and not only share what we’ve been working on, but listen to how we can serve you better.
So! Just in case there are a few deacons out there who still may fit into this (tiny, insignificant) category of those who ‘hate meetings’, we thought we would give you our top 10 reasons why you should attend our AGM next Thursday. Here goes…
- Probably the most important reason of all… you will find out about who Diaconal Ministries Canada is and how we were formed by deacons, for deacons over 20 years ago. (Yes! We had our 20th anniversary on July 1, 2021!)
Not convinced? Okay, here’s the rest of our list then:
- You will meet our amazing team – AND, you may even discover which one of our staff members poses the amazing hidden talent of… climbing trees!
- You’ll find out what Diaconal Ministry Shares are and where they go.
- Since you don’t need to leave the house (the meeting is virtual), you can wear your pajamas (or whatever you want really) and you won’t get in trouble! (But please, do wear something.)
- We have a great guest speaker lined up for the evening; someone with a PhD(!) and one of our current NewGround Partners: Ms. Alida van Dijk of the Community Counseling Centre of London. Find out more about her talk here.
- You may see a familiar face on the screen! Maybe an old college roommate or your grade 3 teacher OR the guy your sister dated back in the day that you WISH was your brother-in-law now. (Oops, did we just say that!?)
- You’ll have the opportunity to ask us any question you have. (For example, why doesn’t the National Director, ron, capitalize his name in our communications??)
- If you’re a new deacon, you could earn some brownie points with your diaconate’s Chair!
- Because there’s really nothing good on TV Thursday nights anyway! (and if there is, you can just PVR your favourite show. Wait, is PVR still a thing…??)
- And lastly, it’s free! Yes, it will cost you your time, but we believe it’ll be time well spent with fellow diaconal-hearted folks.
So what are you waiting for? Register here today! As we said above, the meeting will be held online via Zoom on Thursday, November 18, 2021, at 8pm EST. All AGM meeting materials are on our website, including our 2020-21 Annual Report.
Is there another reason you’d add to this list?