Why does NewGround Offer Deacon Scholarships?
It’s been said that leaders produce leaders, not followers. As leaders in God’s Kingdom, Deacons have an exciting opportunity to lead and empower their congregation to share Christ’s love and mercy with others. Our goal as Diaconal Ministries Canada is to intentionally invest in Deacons as they serve in this role.
Who Can Apply?
Any Deacon or diaconate (team of Deacons) from a Christian Reformed Church in Canada is eligible to apply. Using a simple application process, NewGround will offer up to $250 per year per diaconate. Preference will be given to Deacons (or diaconates) who have not received support previously.
What Kinds of Applications Will Be Considered?
NewGround’s Deacon Scholarships are intended for leadership development and learning, focused on the work of Deacons. Moreover, applications that reflect a desire for brand new learning will be given priority.
Examples: purchase books or videos or other resources, attend or host a conference or workshop.
How Does it Work?
- Deacons or diaconates can apply anytime throughout the year.
- Applications are to be reviewed and decided upon by the NewGround Committee. Since applications may be made at any time during the year, approval may be expedited by Diaconal Ministries’ staff.
- If more information is required, the applicant(s) will be notified by the NewGround Committee or a Diaconal Ministries’ staff member.
- Each Deacon or diaconate may ask for up to $250 each year.
- Preference will be given to Deacons (or diaconates) who have not received support previously.