Community Opportunity Scan – Tools & Resources
Below are a few tools to help get you started! These are available for you to download and edit, as needed.
Diaconal Ministries’ staff are available to help you and your church go deeper. We are eager to answer your questions and are available to facilitate a discussion with your church council or diaconate about “When is the right time to do a Community Opportunity Scan?” and “Are we ready?” We can identify churches in your area who have already completed a C.O.S., and we can provide information about financial support that may be available through our Operation Manna Program.
Getting Acquainted with the COS
Is Your Church Ready to Undertake a COS?
Consider distributing the questionnaire “Are We Ready?” at a council and/or deacons meeting. Discuss together the motivations and obstacles involved with starting new community ministry initiatives.
The Importance of Prayer
Prayer Walking is often referred to as “praying on-site with insight.” Be encouraged by these simple steps to start Prayer Walking in your community and church neighbourhood.
COS Final Reports – Samples
Read through some examples of how a Community Opportunity Scan helped these churches and communities:
- Maranatha CRC (Cambridge) Final COS Report
- Immanuel CRC (Hamilton) Final Report
- Churches of Simcoe Report (available on their website)
Assessing Your Ministry
Community Ministry is meant to bring transformation and hope; however, no matter how well-intentioned, ministry may also cause hurt, bring only relief when something more is needed, or inadvertently encourage dependency. Use this Ministry Assessment Tool to discern whether your current ministries are helping or hurting.
Signs of Community Transformation is another helpful resource.
Ready to Get Started?
Contact one of our Regional Ministry Developers who can walk alongside your church as you go through the COS process. Grants are also available to your church through our Operation Manna Program*.
- Tammy Heidbuurt, Eastern Canada (Manitoba to Maritimes)
- Rachel Vroege, Western Canada (Sask. to B.C.)
- Call our office at 1-800-730-3490 x4304
*Our Operation Manna Program is changing! Read the exciting news here!
- Resonate Global Mission staff in your area can provide resources on topics related to the COS process, such as an initiative called Go Local, which is also a journey to discover and join God in your neighbourhood;
- Christian Reformed Race Relations has helpful resources for churches in ethnically-diverse neighbourhoods that are seeking ways to grow as an inter-cultural church;
- The Roxburgh Missional Network’s Moving Back into the Neighbourhood (MBiN) Workbook addresses a need that many churches have: learning how to re-engage their local neighbourhoods and communities. The MBiN Workbook is a detailed guide for churches wanting to know how to do this in their own contexts.